The laboratory of Oenology and Alcoholic Beverages was established in 2016 as a laboratory unit of the Department of Food Science & Technology, Faculty of Agriculture.
Fields of knowledge
- Chemistry and Biochemistry of Wine and Alcoholic Beverages
- Microbiology of Wine and Alcoholic Beverages
- Fermentation Technology
- Post-Fermentation Wine Treatments
- Wine and Alcoholic Beverages Aging
- Wine, Beer and Alcoholic Beverage Composition
- Spirits and Distillation Techniques
- Sensory Evaluation
- Novel Products Development
-Fermentation technology in wine, beer and alcoholic beverages (alcoholic, malolactic etc.)
-Isolation and characterization of indigenous yeasts and lactic acid bacteria for the development of products with improved characteristics
-Development of fruit-based alcoholic beverages (cider/apple, pear, pomegranate etc.)
-Development of low and reduced alcohol beverages
-Study of volatile compounds of alcoholic beverages
-Exploitation of by-products and wastes from wineries, breweries and distilleries
-Traditional alcoholic beverages
-Volatile aroma compounds in wine, beer and alcoholic beverages
-Modern wine-making techniques: Carbonic maceration, Thermovinification, Prefermentative cold maceration
-Toxic compounds in wines: Biogenic amines, ochratoxins etc.
-Improvement of traditional distillates
-Study on distillation systems
Head of Laboratory
Katsanidis Eugenios, Associate Professor
Teaching and Research
1. Kandylis Panagiotis, Assistant Professor, Oenology-Alcoholic Beverages
2. Soufleros Evangelos, Professor Emeritus, Oenology-Alcoholic Beverages
Laboratory Assistant Teaching Staff
1. Chatzikamari Magda, Agriculturist-Food Science & Technology, M.Sc., Ph.D.
2. Ambatzidis Pavlos, Agriculturist-Food Science & Technology
3. Vamvakas Konstantinos, Agriculturist-Food Science & Technology, M.Sc.
Administrative and Technical personnel